The “It’s Alive!” box is a celebration of all the wild reactions, crazy growths, and hidden possibilities found in everyday foods.
Learn how yeast works by making a loaf of focaccia bread, grow your own edible sprouts from seeds, use the gas released by yeast to blow up a balloon, and even grow brand-new vegetables from scraps you might have otherwise tossed in the trash. (After all, who doesn’t love a good zombie vegetable?) You’ll also learn all about fermentation and get to try your hand at making creamy yogurt and tangy sauerkraut.
You’ll find two special tools in this box—a Bean Screen™ and a Pickle Pipe™, both from the folks at Masontops. Ready to dig into our most exciting box yet? Let’s have some fun!
- A high-quality, kid-friendly kitchen tool, gadget, or non-perishable ingredient sourced from top culinary brands.
- A step-by-step cooking lesson adapted from the Little Sous curriculum.
- Collectable recipe cards developed around the theme.
- Hands-on activities that teach cooking techniques, food science, and help kids develop their food preferences and vocabulary.
- A two-sided, ready-to-color poster that includes interactive games, puzzles, and other activities that beg kids to dive in and play while they learn about food cultures around the world.
- A sheet of vinyl stickers inspired by the monthly theme.