In this month's box, explore the most sensitive muscle in your body—the tongue—and how it helps you taste the food you love. Experiment with the five basic tastes (salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami) while making tomato sauce; then put that sauce to work on a mini pizza, slicing it up with the clever pizza cutter included in the box.
Grab a blindfold and a partner to further explore how your other senses (touch, sight, smell, and hearing) work with your sense of taste to help your brain understand what it’s eating. Then, trick your taste buds by eating a miracle berry, a unique fruit from West Africa, included in the box as a bonus surprise.
Each box from the Little Sous Kitchen Academy includes:
- A high-quality, kid-friendly kitchen tool, gadget, or non-perishable ingredient sourced from top culinary brands.
- A step-by-step cooking lesson adapted from the Little Sous curriculum.
- Collectable recipe cards developed around the theme.
- Hands-on activities that teach cooking techniques, food science, and help kids develop their food preferences and vocabulary.
- A two-sided, ready-to-color poster that includes interactive games, puzzles, and other activities that beg kids to dive in and play while they learn about food cultures around the world.
- A sheet of vinyl stickers inspired by the monthly theme.