It’s our favorite time of year, when kitchens are full of colorful, freshly picked fruits and vegetables. The problem is, our appetites are never big enough to keep up with all of that fresh, delicious food! This is why we turn to canning, pickling, drying, and freezing to save summer’s best produce for year-round eating.
Help kids learn all about these approaches to “Saving the Season,” starting by making a few jars of bright strawberry jam using the month’s featured tool: the clever Chef’n StemGem strawberry huller. Then use your homemade jam to make cute thumbprint cookies. Other activities in the box include making chewy fruit leather, cut into original shapes, turning cucumbers into quick pickles, and learning how to preserve herbs using two simple household items.
- A high-quality, kid-friendly kitchen tool, gadget, or non-perishable ingredient sourced from top culinary brands.
- A step-by-step cooking lesson adapted from the Little Sous curriculum.
- Collectible recipe cards developed around the theme.
- Hands-on activities that teach cooking techniques, food science, and help kids develop their food preferences and vocabulary.
- A two-sided, ready-to-color poster that includes interactive games, puzzles, and other activities that beg kids to dive in and play while they learn about food cultures around the world.
- A sheet of vinyl stickers inspired by the monthly theme.