The “Hot & Cold” box: an exploration of all things temperature and cooking.
Most of the things we make in our kitchens depend on cooking and/or cooling
ingredients to a specific temperature. This monthʼs core lesson is a great example:
Youʼll learn how to make ice cream using just a few ingredients and a couple
of plastic bags—no fancy machines needed!
Next, heat things up and learn how temperature affects sugar while
making chewy caramels. In addition to adult supervision, kids will need a candy thermometer for this recipe—luckily weʼve included one in this monthʼs box.
When you're ready to cool things off, weʼve included a couple of icy activities: turning a bottle of water into an instant ice-maker and making whatʼs known in Vermont as “maple sugar on snow.”
Each box from the Little Sous Kitchen Academy includes:
- A high-quality, kid-friendly kitchen tool, gadget, or non-perishable ingredient sourced from top culinary brands.
- A step-by-step cooking lesson adapted from the Little Sous curriculum.
- Collectable recipe cards developed around the theme.
- Hands-on activities that teach cooking techniques, food science, and help kids develop their food preferences and vocabulary.
- A two-sided, ready-to-color poster that includes interactive games, puzzles, and other activities that beg kids to dive in and play while they learn about food cultures around the world.
- A sheet of vinyl stickers inspired by the monthly theme.